Hello! Thanks for stopping by my page. Read on below and you can find all sorts of helpful information about how to get started with me. I've included a sampling of some of the common situations I work with, but it is not exhaustive. If you are experiencing something different than what you see there, get in touch. It's likely that I can help you too. Check out the gallery at the bottom if you'd like to get a glimpse of some of the counseling related projects we are involved with around the world. At the very bottom of this page, you can find all of my intake paperwork.
In the early years of our marriage, April and I enjoyed the adventure of working with Campus Crusade for Christ on 3 different continents. During countless one on one appointments with students, we began to realize that many young adults were struggling to live well in relationships, not quite sure about their calling in life and battling against their personal “stuff.” It was in these types of conversations that we sensed a call to pursue advanced counseling and theological studies. After graduate school and getting licensed, I went on to start Elbow Tree Christian Counseling in 2006. April finished her master’s degree in 2012 and came on board at Elbow Tree, as well. In 2014, in conjunction with a close friend, we introduced Neurofeedback into the Elbow Tree lineup. As a result of Chattanooga having an abundance of fantastic counselors with no home to practice, I also started the co-op in 2015, where my role is to help develop the next generation of Christian counselor. April and I have been married 20 years, have 5 children, 1 dog and 2 cats!
- (LPC) Licensed Professional Counselor, TN #1932
- (MHSP) Mental Health Service Provider, TN
- B.S. Psychology, UT-Chattanooga, 1996
- M.A. Marriage and Family Therapy, Reformed Theological Seminary, 2003
- M.A. Biblical Studies, Reformed Theological Seminary, 2008
- Instructor - Group Crisis Intervention, International Critical Incident Stress Foundation
- Instructor - Life Skills International
- Facilitator - Prepare/ENRICH
- I have a broad range of times available, from early in the morning to late in the evening, Monday through Friday. I do all of my own scheduling. The quickest and easiest way get an appointment with me is to schedule online. You can see my available slots and grab one for yourself. You can also include a message with anything you want me to know. SCHEDULE ONLINE NOW.
- If the online scheduler is giving you trouble, or if you think there is something we need to discuss before you schedule, feel free to text, call or e-mail.
- If my schedule shows no availability, I'm either fully booked or not in the office. Let me know if you are needing to get in more quickly and I can put you on the standby list.
- A standard counseling session is 50 minutes, and the cost is $100 per session. I accept cash, checks, debit/credit cards and health savings account cards. I opted out of insurance networks years ago, but I do still participate as an "out of network" provider. This means you pay my regular fee, and I can provide you with a receipt that has all the diagnostic information necessary for you to file and possibly get a rebate from your insurance company - based on what your plan is.
"The context of your life is an epic love story, set in the midst
of a life and death battle."
John Eldredge, EPIC
- Men and Women
- Depression, Anxiety and Grief
- Adolescents (7th grade and beyond). Elementary schoolers and will gladly be considered on a case by case basis.)
- Men’s Issues
- Wrestling through spiritual questions
- Acute and Post Traumatic Stress (how a massive, potentially deadly or overwhelming life event can affect your body, thoughts and emotions)
- Living with same sex attraction
- Understanding and gaining control over bad habits
- Recovering from physical, emotional or sexual abuse
- Major decisions and life transitions
- Recovering from any type of broken relationship (divorce, death, betrayal, etc.)
- Making sense of anger and reactivity
- Mental, spiritual and operational preparation for international travel and missions
- Mental performance enhancment for athletes, first responders, law enforcement, international relief workers, military personnel and others that are required to perform in high pressure/high speed environments
- Bouncing back from personal and prefessional mistakes
- How to deal with all the crazy people at your office : )
- Pre-marital and pre-engaged couples
- Marriage enrichment
- Marriage in crisis
- Recovering from infidelity
- Adapting to the empty nest
- PREPARE/Enrich Inventory
- Parental strategy and the developmental stages
- Blending families
- Substance abuse and how it affects the family system
- Learning to communicate in a way that really works
- Handling young adult children living in the home
Crisis Counseling, Disaster Response and Education...
As well as serving on a national network of counselors who respond to everything from school shootings, corporate downsizings, bank robberies or industrial accidents, Greg serves with a team of medical professionals and engineers who respond to natural disasters around the world. Between disasters, the team also does community and mental health education in the developing world.
- Mission to the World, - Director of Counseling and Trainer - Global Disaster Response
- R3 Continuum, - Regional Responder
- International Critical Incident Stress Foundation (ICISF) - Approved Instructor
The co-op is a sister practice of Elbow Tree Christian Counseling and our purpose is to create an environment where promising pre-licensed counselors can work alongside seasoned professionals in order to receive mentorship and supervision as they work towards licensure in Tennessee. If you would like more information, any of the counselors listed on the menu at the top of the page can help you. Each of their profiles will explain their particular approach, cost, hours of operation, etc.